May was another Patternmash month and for some reason I really struggled with a theme which should've been perfect for me! The theme was Found or Pound - designs created using found objects or items which cost only £1. The colour pallet was fab too!
So I wracked my brains for days - I was keen to go for found so spent some time just looking for stuff around the house and also revisited one of my previous Patternmash projects for motif inspiration. I came up with a few designs then had a really really busy month, so didn't touch it for a couple of weeks.
When I went back to the designs at the end of the month I hated them all without exception! So started all over again... As by this point I had limited time, I only managed to submit three designs. I've used pen and ink drawings and photographs combined and in the end I'm fairly pleased with the result.
I often struggle to get going with these projects but I still think they're a really valuable and useful thing to do. Ideas I've generated with my Patternmash projects often find their way into my fabric designs, and of course I usually design to my own brief so this is definitely good for me!