Made By Mrs M

Please note that all orders placed after 10am on Wednesday 26 July will be processed on Friday 4 August. Thanks!

The Dressmaking Continues...

Sewing, Textiles, Dressmakingmadebymrsm

THIS IS A SPONSORED POST The lovely folks at Weaver Dee had obviously been watching my recent sewing exploits with interest, as they asked me if I'd like to try out one of their patterns, and use their fabrics and notions to make it.

IMG_3601
IMG_3601

I had a browse through the site and, despite my best efforts to try something different, I kept coming back to the Tilly & The Buttons patterns. I chose Mathilde...

IMG_3483
IMG_3483

A nice, versatile little blouse (thinking casual with jeans, or smart tucked into a skirt), a nice, bold polka dot fabric and some fun little red polka dot buttons. I also needed some suitable interfacing and used thread which I already had.

The Mathilde pattern is a particularly good one if you're learning to sew as you get to try out quite a few techniques - some of which I realised I hadn't used since college.

IMG_3512
IMG_3512

Cutting out was simple enough - although I did take care to line up the spots in the places where they'd show - in particular along the bottom edge of the yolk. I then embarked upon my first pin tucks for nearly 20 years...

IMG_3527
IMG_3527

And it wasn't pretty. 2 house later I was left with some rather uneven pin tucks (I have no idea how - it just seemed to get worse each time!), but luckily enough (actually it was planned, honest) they were uneven in exactly the same way on both sides - so it does (sort of) look intentional!

IMG_3546
IMG_3546

I should mention that this was also the point at which my machine started chewing the fabric up and I had to take a fair bit of it apart, clean it and put it back together again before it ran normally - so yes, an afternoon of my life that I won't get back!

Following the initial little issues, it all went very smoothly after that. Here it is with the yoke attached and the shoulder and side seams stitched - my first proper go at French seams in years too and I was really pleased with how well they turned out.

IMG_3549
IMG_3549

I then worked on the back opening before the dreaded buttonholes...

IMG_3555
IMG_3555

Really not sure why I was dreading them. I soon realised that I'd never made buttonholes using my current sewing machine, so out came the manual and some practice fabric. Here's the first one I did on the blouse itself.

IMG_3557
IMG_3557

Another 6 buttonholes later and they were finished - not perfect but I'm pretty pleased with them!

IMG_3559
IMG_3559

And onto the sleeves. They're gathered on the shoulders and then gathered (a lot) into the cuffs. They also feature some more french seams...

IMG_3599
IMG_3599

One in one to go!

IMG_3605
IMG_3605

I actually found the sleeves rather a lot easier than I'd expected to and had it finished in no time.

IMG_3602
IMG_3602
IMG_3606
IMG_3606
IMG_3604
IMG_3604

I enjoyed this project so much that I've already started on my next one (the pyjama bottoms from Tilly's book - review to follow), and as predicted, this blouse really does look great tucked into a skirt!

Mathilde Montage
Mathilde Montage

Weaver Dee are offering a 10% discount to my readers - just head on over to their site and use the code MRSM10 to apply the discount.

This is a sponsored post.

Stay in touch - join the mailing list!

[contact-form][contact-field label='Name' type='name' required='1'/][contact-field label='Email' type='email' required='1'/][/contact-form]