Made By Mrs M

PLEASE NOTE: All orders placed after 8pm on Thursday 19 October will be processed on Saturday 28 October. Thank you for your patience!

Can't Craft, Won't Craft

Craft, Sewing, Textiles, Tutorialsmadebymrsm
DSC_3599
DSC_3599

Now you know how I like a challenge... During a recent clear out in my studio, I discovered a heap of kits from Mollie Makes magazine - things I hadn't made (mostly because they weren't really me, or I just hadn't had the time). It seemed a shame to throw them away but I wasn't sure what to do with them. I then hit upon the idea of just pulling out the contents of the kits and seeing what I could come up with (so totally disregarding their original use). I mentioned this to Mr M and he said "so like Can't Cook, Won't Cook?" and that was exactly what I meant. Little did I know it really would be like that (as in a bit of a disaster!).

So, I took the (fabric only) contents from the kits which were free with issues 23 (travel card wallet), 24 (oilcloth coin purse) and 40 (ditsy floral fabric brooch) and decided to make a wallet. Here are the fabrics...

DSC_3556
DSC_3556

Now, I've listed the measurements below, but you should note that the square floral pieces really were too small and if you'd like to make one yourself they need to be wider - probably best to use a credit card as a template (allowing a good border all around of course).

The oilcloth measured 27.5 x 10.2 cm

The triangle fabric measured 25.5 x 10.5 cm

The squares (of which I used 4 of the 6 which came with the kit) measured 9.8cm square (too small!).

First I folded the edges of all the fabric pieces (not the oilcloth) in by about 0.5cm and pressed. On the small pieces I pressed a larger amount in on one side to create the rectangles you can see in the first image - 2 large and 2 smaller ones.

DSC_3561
DSC_3561

I then trimmed away the excess and hemmed the top edge of each of the four rectangles.

DSC_3575
DSC_3575
DSC_3581
DSC_3581

And placed them together on top of one another on the triangle fabric and stitched around the sides and bottom to secure them in place (I didn't bother to pin).

DSC_3583
DSC_3583

Before stitching the triangle fabric onto the oilcloth (do not pin oil cloth - it leaves holes!).

DSC_3590
DSC_3590

I'd never used oilcloth before (don't worry, I did know not to pin it!) and it's a little tricky - I actually expected it to stick, but it moved around rather a lot and I had to stitch slowly. In order to keep it neat I stitched as close to the edge of the triangle fabric as I could.

DSC_3592
DSC_3592

I ran a double row of stitches along the centre to create a fold in the oilcloth.

Then trimmed the ends to make it a bit squarer (and neater).

DSC_3603
DSC_3603

So, it looks OK, but don't look too close! The pockets are too small to put cards in properly and they'd fall out (and/or stick out the top!) - so if you fancy trying something similar do make them with larger pieces of fabric. It looks pretty and summery though and might make a nice thing for a child to play with (mine won't want it though as it's pink!).

Stay in touch! Join the mailing list. 

[contact-form][contact-field label='Name' type='name' required='1'/][contact-field label='Email' type='email' required='1'/][/contact-form]