Made By Mrs M

Recent Dressmaking...

Craft, Dressmaking, Sewing, Textilesmadebymrsm
DSC_2271
DSC_2271

About a year ago I planned to do a lot more dressmaking - the intentions were good but all I managed to make last year was my Coco dress, my Gather collar, and just before Christmas, my Miette skirt. I'm already doing rather better this year as it's May and I have one item finished and another that's very nearly there. Let's start with the finished one!

I've been wanting to make a dress using my own fabrics for ages and finally decided to take the plunge. I found a very simple shift dress pattern (Burda 7056) and set about making it in my Streets in the Sky fabric. After cutting out, I realised that it was way too straight for a girl with such ample hips so I added triangular panels into the side seams (starting with the point of the triangle at the arm hole) and this worked perfectly - it fits nicely, I can eat while wearing it and it has a nice little bit of movement. I also added an extra pair of darts to make the bodice fit a bit better.

My only complaint about the pattern is that the neckline was so much higher than I'm used to wearing that it left me with a red mark on my neck after a whole day in it. I've since gone back and added a little notch in the centre and now I can move my head without it rubbing (I still had marks 3 days after wearing it the second time!).

This pattern is just one of 3 I've bought recently. The second (hiding in the middle in the image below) is Butterick B4790 which is the Walkaway dress as seen in the Great British Sewing Bee. I think this should be pretty good for me as it has a nice big skirt - I can't decide what fabric to go for at the moment though - it's going to use quite a bit. Maybe a polka dot. Watch this space...

IMG_0699
IMG_0699

The final one is The Mortmain - another pattern from Gather. I'm half way through making this one in a lovely green Liberty print.

piccal9
piccal9

As with their Tallis collar pattern, which I made at the end of last year, this is pretty simple to make and well explained. I did make the mistake of not measuring myself before cutting out though, assuming I'd be my usual size, but it seems I'm not and it's very snug. I've already made some adjustments but I fear it may need more. Oops. At least I have some spare fabric and can remember some of the things I learnt in pattern cutting at college!

Watch this space to see the finished article - and the Walkaway which I'm desperate to get on to!

Stay in touch - join the mailing list and receive my monthly newsletter!