Last month's Mollie Makes magazine (issue 49) came with a kit for a patchwork needle case. I wasn't sure that I needed one (although in all honesty I probably do as I'm always loosing needles....) and was inspired by alternative uses for the kits that were shown - they'd asked three bloggers to come up with their own spin on the gift. So, I decided to make myself something different with it too.
Regular readers will know that I'm quite into English paper piecing at the moment, so I was keen to piece and stitch the hexies properly, but I decided to make them into a pin cushion rather than a needle case. The only addition I made to the contents of the kit was the stuffing (I just used standard soft toy stuffing).
I started by making up 7 hexies and stitching them together in the same pattern as in the kit.
I decided to stitch these onto the floral fabric rather than the pink felt supplied (which is behind the floral fabric in the images above). I used the pink felt as backing for this section to provide something substantial to put the pins into.
I then took the piece of yellow felt, cut it in half to produce two squares, then cut one of these squares into four equal strips.
I stitched a strip of felt to the right side of each edge of the floral piece.
Then joined the corners together using a blanket stitch...
The final stage involved blanket stitching the yellow square to the reverse (leaving a gap for the stuffing), adding the stuffing then sewing it up.
And I'd finished! This has actually inspired me to trawl through some of the other kits I've got but haven't used, to see what I can come up with - I do like a challenge!