Yes, I'm giving away my secrets! Here's a tutorial showing you how to make one of my popular fabric covered button brooches. At the end of the post you'll find details of a giveaway - the prize is one of 2 of my button brooch kits, providing you with everything you need to make your own.
You will need:
Small piece of fabric (I've used one of my own designs here but you can see from the image above that I've also made these with Liberty print).
Small piece of felt for the reverse (I've used black or white for the brooches above but decided to go for a nice bright green this time).
Metal covering button (2 pieces).
Brooch back pin.
Template - the template I've used is for a 29mm button and measures 52mm in diameter.
Needle and thread.
Covered button tool (optional).
1. Using the template, cut out a circle of fabric - if you have a motif you'd like to centre on the brooch, check this is in the right position before cutting.
2. Use the front of the button as a template to cut a smaller piece of the felt for the reverse.
3. Cover the button with your fabric. You can either do this manually - pushing the fabric onto the teeth on the inside then pushing the back in place, or as I do using a covered button tool (you can find these in various places online - I bought mine from John Lewis).
4. Open up the brooch back and position it on the felt - ensure you do this towards the top rather than in the centre so it doesn't clash with the back of the button (which sticks up). Stitch this in place firmly.
5. Without tying the thread off, put the front and back pieces together and join them using a blanket stitch.
6. Stitch all the way around the brooch, ensuring that the felt and your stitches are nice and tight. Then push the needle through to the far corner before cutting off.
7. And you've finished!
Now for the giveaway! You can win one of 2 button brooch kits, containing all the materials you need to make 2 brooches (just add needle, thread, scissors and the button tool if you'd like to use one).
All you need to do is join my mailing list (via the very pink link on the right of this page) and enter via the Rafflecopter widget below. If you're already on my mailing list just enter and leave your email address in the space provided to enable me to verify it. There are several other ways to earn additional entries once you've completed this one.
The giveaway will end on Friday 16 January 2015. Good luck!
THE GIVEAWAY HAS NOW ENDED! THE WINNERS ARE: