Made By Mrs M

Ombre Landscape Tote Bag Tutorial


I got a little messy this month and had great fun making this simple ombre tote bag. I was hoping to achieve a look like this, but there is a little luck involved! Here's how I did it.....

You will need:

  • Somewhere to contain the mess (I sat everything in the bath)
  • A washing up bowl (or you could use a stainless steel sink - I don't have one...)
  • A measuring jug
  • A calico tote bag (I bought mine here - you could always make your own)
  • A pack of dye
  • Salt
  • Rubber gloves
  • An apron.

I used a Dylon cold water dye in Intense Violet.

1. Wearing your apron and rubber globes, make up your dye according to the pack instructions

2. I then disregarded the instructions somewhat! Still wearing your rubber gloves, open up the tote bag and place one hand inside. Very slowly lower the bag into the bowl of dye, ensuring that the bag fills with water as it goes (this will ensure a more even covering at the base of the bag and should help to prevent any spillage over the side of the bowl - you might get a few splashes though so be careful!).

Once the bag has enough water/dye in it to enable it to support itself, leave it for 15 minutes. You can choose whether to tuck the handles into the dye at this stage or whether to keep them out - I chose the former.

3. When the 15 minutes is up, put your rubber gloves back on and push the bag a bit further into the dye. Try not to do this too evenly if you'd like to achieve the landscape effect. Leave for another 10-15 minutes.

4. Finally, submerge the rest of the bag in the dye and leave for 5-10 minutes.

5. Remove the bag from the dye - I placed mine on a bin liner which I laid in the bath to reduce the mess!

6. I then wrapped my bag in the bin liner to transport it down to the kitchen sink where I soaked it in cold water.

7. A gentle warm wash in the machine and a steam press later, the bag was ready!

I took advantage of the left over dye to brighten up a faded old white t-shirt as well. I scrunched it up first and only stirred once (and left in the dye for a total of 30 minutes) to achieve this look, which I'm quite pleased with.